Friday, April 16, 2010

The Turning Experience

So today was the day to try and turn Rylie manually. We arrived at the hospital bright and early this morning and I was taken to labor and delivery triage. They hooked me up to the heart beat moniters and did all of the pre tests, like blood pressure, and gave me an IV as a just in case something went wrong and I had to have an emergency C-section. After about an hour, the doctor and the ultrasound machine showed up and we started.

Now, my doctor had told me that it would feel like she was bruising all of my stomach muscles with her hands, and then other people had told me that it wasn't all that painful...so I was expecting pain, but didn't really know how much or how little. And to be perfectly honest, it was pretty painful. They tried for about 25 minutes, and she refused to flip.

She started off with her head on the top of the left side of my stomach, so they started by trying to flip her to the left and she wouldn't budge at all. Then they tried to go to the right. Whenever the doctor would stop for a second to give me a break, she would keep her hand on Rylie's head. We got to the top right side of my stomach and she wouldn't move anymore. As soon as the doctor let go of her head, she moved right back to the left side where she started. Apparently she likes that spot in my stomach!

Rylie and my heartbeats were montitered for the next hour just to make sure that both of us recovered from the procedure ok, and then we were sent home where I spent the rest of the day sleeping and relaxing. I am a little sore and will probably be bruised, but all in all, I feel pretty good. It was really good to hear that Rylie did better than alot of babies do throughout the morning...guess we have a very strong and stubborn little girl on our hands! :)

So now we have 3 scenarios--One is that she might still turn on her own and I will go into labor naturally and deliver. Two is that we will schedule a C-section at 39 weeks (only 2 weeks away!) or three is that I will go into labor sometime in the next 2 weeks with her still breech and need to go have an emergency C-section. And Brandon and I are ok with all 3 scenarios...not that they are all ideal, but however God wants this pregnancy to finish will happen, and that is the best scenario for us.

We are very grateful for all of the prayers and thoughtful text messages and phone calls. We are blessed to be surrounded by people who care so much for us and our little girl. So thank you for making us feel so loved and cared for.


I think Brandon thought I was a little crazy for wanting a picture after the whole thing took place, but this is part of Rylie's birth story and I want to have photos to document it all for her to see one day! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment